Tuesday 18 August 2009

How Weird is your Woo?

It seems to me that there’s a sliding scale of silliness for irrational beliefs. Those I personally find the daftest are the ones that contradict the most empirical evidence.

Before I arsed around with my blog format, I had a little poll on the side for you all to vote on which woo you all thought was the wackiest. Of course this small sample straw poll is utterly meaningless, but just for the heck of it, here are the results:

I was very pleased to see Creationism topping the chart as it is also my choice for the most ridiculously stupid pile of fetid dingo’s kidneys. You have to throw so much conventional biology, geology, physics, astronomy and palaeontology out of the window and embrace such a huge steaming shit-load of mumbo jumbo in order to even entertain the absurd notion of creationism.

Bruce Hood argues in his book, "Supersense", that creationism is the direction our natural instincts will draw us towards. Therefore “Lord of the Flies” children, much like early civilisations may lean towards this idea in the absence of the knowledge of the sheer towering stack of converging evidence from multiple disciplines all beautifully under pinning Darwin’s elegant theory. I agree with Bruce’s point, but if you have grown up in a developed country in a post enlightenment time, the only possible excuse I can see for retaining a belief in creationism is if you are a fully certified raving fruit loop.

At this point, you may be thinking, that is not an intelligent argument in favour of a scientific and rational theory, that’s just childish and bigoted name calling. And you’re quite right, that is exactly what it is. There are plenty of serious skeptical bloggers out there that critically examine these beliefs and intelligently dissect the arguments to reach the scientific truth. I, however am not one of those bloggers, I am merely the Jeremy Clarkson of skeptical blogging.

Oh by the way, delighted to see homeopaths in second place, they’re a deluded bunch of silly twats too.

And on that bombshell………

No comments: